What is Phenytoin
Phenytoin, offered under the brand Dilantin among others, is an anti-seizure drug. Dilantin is made use of to prevent and also control seizures (also called an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug). Phenytoin functions by lowering the spread of seizure activity in the brain. You ought to take Dilantin (Phenytoin) specifically as recommended by your medical professional.Do not squash, chew, damage, or open an ER capsule. Take it entire.You should not make use of any kind of Dilantin capsule that has actually transformed colors. The chewable capsule has to be chewed before you ingest it. If you are consuming fluid form Dilantin (Phenytoin), drink the oral suspension (fluid) well right prior to you measure a dosage. Measure fluid medication with the dosing syringe provided, or with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine mug. Obtain urgent clinical aid in case you have any type of indications of an allergic reactions. You might be extra likely to have an allergic reaction if you are African-American. Report any type of brand-new or getting worse symptoms to your medical professional, like: state of mind or behavior modifications, stress and anxiety, clinical depression, or if you really feel flustered, restless, aggressive, hyper-active (psychologically or physically), or have ideas regarding self-destruction or harming yourself. You should call your medical professional at once if you experience a significant adverse effects pointed out over.
Everybody could painlessly get Phenytoin on-line with a help of our on-line medical solution. But at the same time you need to take your therapy with a great care. Even if you are sure that information discussed above is enough to start taking this medicine for healing, you should consult your medical specialist first.
- How to take
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- Missed dose
Generic Dilantin are used for treating certain types of convulsions and seizures. They may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor. Although it has been used in many conditions, Phenytoin's only approved use is as an anti-seizure medication, especially to prevent tonic-clonic (grand mal) seizures and complex partial seizures (psychomotor seizures). Phenytoin acts on the brain and nervous system in the treatment of epilepsy. Phenytoin may also be used to prevent and treat seizures occurring during and after neurosurgery.
Generic Dilantin comes as a capsule to take by mouth. It usually is taken two or three times a day. Take Generic Dilantin exactly as directed. Do not take more or less of it or take it more often than prescribed by your doctor. Do not open, crush, or chew capsules; swallow them whole. Continue to take Phenytoin even if you feel well. Do not stop taking Phenytoin without talking to your doctor, especially if you have taken large doses for a long time. Abruptly stopping the drug can cause seizures.
Side effects include:
- Dizziness, drowsiness, difficulty focusing (vision), unsteady gate, tiredness, abnormal involuntary movements, nausea, vomiting, constipation, decreased coordination, involuntary eye movement, mental confusion, slurred speech, abdominal pain, loss of
- insomnia, difficulty swallowing, constipation, stomach pain, loss of taste and appetite, appetite, redness, irritation, bleeding, and swelling of the gums
- muscle twitching, nervousness, headache, and increased hair growth.
Call your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms: Difficulty coordinating movements, skin rash, easy bruising, tiny purple-colored skin spots, bloody nose, slurred speech, unusual bleeding, yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, swollen glands, fever, sore throat.
If you have ever had an allergic reaction to or are sensitive to Phenytoin or similar epilepsy medications such as Peganone or Mesantoin, do not take Phenytoin. Make sure your doctor is aware of any drug reactions you have experienced.
Tell your doctor if you develop a skin rash. If the rash is scale-like, characterized by reddish or purplish spots, or consists of (fluid-filled) blisters, your doctor may stop Phenytoin and prescribe an alternative treatment. If the rash is more like measles, your doctor may have you stop taking Phenytoin until the rash is completely gone.
Because Phenytoin is processed by the liver, people with impaired liver function, older adults, and those who are seriously ill may show early signs of drug poisoning.
Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages while taking Phenytoin. Phenytoin is secreted into breast milk. Nursing is not recommended for persons taking Phenytoin.
It is especially important to check with your doctor before combining Phenytoin with the following:
- Alcohol, Amiodarone (Cordarone), Antacids containing calcium, Blood-thinning drugs such as Coumadin, Chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin), Chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- Cimetidine (Tagamet), Diazepam (Valium), Dicumarol, Digitoxin (Crystodigin), Disulfiram (Antabuse), Doxycycline (Vibramycin), Estrogens such as Premarin,
- Ethosuximide (Zarontin), Felbamate (Felbatol), Fluoxetine (Prozac), Furosemide (Lasix), Isoniazid (Nydrazid), Major tranquilizers such as Mellaril and Thorazine,
- Methylphenidate (Ritalin) Molindone hydrochloride (Moban), Oral contraceptives, Paroxetine (Paxil), Phenobarbital, Quinidine (Quinidex), Reserpine (Diupres),
- Rifampin (Rifadin), Salicylates such as aspirin, Seizure medications such as Depakene, Depakote, Tegretol, and Zarontin, Steroid drugs such as prednisone (Deltasone), Sucralfate (Carafate), Sulfa drugs such as Gantrisin, Theophylline (Theo-Dur, others), Ticlopidine (Ticlid), Tolbutamide (Orinase),
- Trazodone (Desyrel), Ulcer medications such as Tagamet and Zantac. Phenytoin's metabolism may be affected by other drugs.
- Drugs that can reduce the amount of Phenytoin in the body include Rifampin and Phenobarbital. Drugs that increase Phenytoin concentrations include Amiodarone,
- Chloramphenicol, Cimetidine, Disulfiram, Fluconazole, Fluoxetine, Isoniazid (INH), Omeprazole, and Paroxetine.
The oral absorption of Phenytoin can be reduced by any of the following: antacids containing magnesium, calcium carbonate, or aluminum; calcium salts; or enteral feeding products (tube feedings). Separating the administration of Phenytoin and enteral feeding products, antacids, or calcium salts by at least 2 hours will help avoid this interaction.If you take one dose a day, take the dose you missed as soon as you remember. If you do not remember until the next day, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you take more than 1 dose a day, take the missed dose as soon as possible. If it is within 4 hours of your next dose, skip the one you missed and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. If you forget to take your medication 2 or more days in a row, check with your doctor.Tablets and capsules should be kept at room temperature, 15-30° C (59-86° F).